Kilimanjaro Gearlist and equipment
Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is the highest mountain in Africa and though it is relatively an easy Mountain to hike up the altitude and the changes in the terrain calls for some special climbing gear unlike normal hiking.
We have made a list of some of a few essential gear and equipment especially that a climber needs to know about to make an informed choice on what to carry and what not to.Not all gear in our list is necessary and so it is up to a climber to decide on what he/she needs and what he/she doesn’t.
Of course we offer all the other gear needed like the mess tent, sleeping tent, the cookers, utensils etc.
Below is an outline of some few equipment, and gear for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
- #1. Bags and Sleeping Bags
- #2. You need a days pack that is better with waterproof cover.
- #3. Duffle bag or Trekking rucksack with a maximum 15 kilograms
- #4. A sleeping bag a good quality one with comfort area up to -15 degrees Centigrade.
- #1. A rain trousers and a rain jacket a baggy one to have a comfortable descent
- #2. A warm thermojacket or fleece
- #3. Good trekking trousers
- #4. A pullover
- #5. Good quality waterproof hiking boots, not trainers. The boots need to be spacey to avoid painful/uncomfortable trekking.
- #6. Good top and bottom thermal underwear
- #7. Good quality hiking socks
- #8. A neck protection or a shawl
- #9. A warm pyjama to sleep with
- #10. Heavyweight warm gloves
- #11. Long underwear or leggings
- #12. Sun hut
- #13. Gaiters can also be very helpful
Handy Medicine for Kilimanjaro climbing
- #1. An insect repellent
- #2. Lip balm/minimum SPF 20, and Sun lotion
- #3. Elastic bandages
- #4. A first aid Kit
- #5. Your preferred painkillers
- #6. Plasters and bandages
- #7. A gauze bandage
- #8. Disinfectant hand wash or Dry soap
Miscellaneous gear for climbing Mt Kilimanjaro
- #1. You need Hiking poles
- #2. Head lamps with some spare batteries
- #3. Toiletries and Toilet papers
- #4. Snow goggles or Some good quality UV protection sunglasses
- #5. A light travel pillow
- #6. Ear plugs can be helpful
- #7. Towel preferably a microfiber travel fiber towel that is quick to dry
- #8. A whistle, and a Swiss army knife
- #9. 2 water bottles preferably camel bags
- #10. Packets of moist towelettes
- #11. Duct tape
- #12. Cotton trousers preferably loosing fitting
There are other climbing gear and equipment that you may deem necessary so for your Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing and we do not object to you coming with them but you can also send us an email to ask for advise on whether you will need them or not.
Mount Kilimanjaro climbing via Machame Route requires more gear than the Marangu Route because Marangu Route involves staying in Mountain huts while Machame involves Camping.
Kilimanjaro Equipment gear for hire
When climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and you are not a regular Mountain climber/ trekker you may need some equipment / gear that you may end up using once in your life time and do not need them any more. Buying some of them may seem expensive than hiring them for one time use.
Below we have listed some basic Mount Kilimanjaro Climbing gear that we can offer you for rental.
The prices below may change without notice and are supposed to give you a rough idea as to the costs involved in hiring such equipment / gear for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. The same gear and equipment can be hired and used during the Mount Meru climbing.
Kilimanjaro gear list with Item price per tour
- 1. Sleep pads – US $ 10
- 2. Warm Jackets – US $ 15
- 3. Rain Jackets – US $ 15
- 4. Rain Trousers – US $ 15
- 1. Trousers – US $ 15
- 2. Pair of Socks – US $ 5
- 3. Warm gloves – US $ 10
- 4. Boots – US $ 20
- 1. Barclava – US $ 10
- 2. Walking poles – US $ 15
- 3. Sunglasses – US $ 10
- 4. Hat – US $ 5
- 5. Sleep bags – US $ 20
- 1. Sweater – US $ 5
- 2. Rucksack – US $ 20
- 3. Day pack – US $ 10
- 4. Pair of Gaitors – US $ 10
- 5. Trousers – US $ 15.
Climb Mount Kilimanjaro with Trip Insight Tanzania
We love Kilimanjaro love Kilimanjaro. It is a massive 5,895m tall and the highest free-standing mountain in the world. Mount Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania, East Africa. Kilimanjaro is also the highest mountain in Africa so is part of the very special club that mountaineers call the “Seven Summits” – the highest mountains on each continent.
Even with these awesome credentials, you can leave work on a Friday, climb to its summit and be back at work a week later. And more than anything this accessibility is what makes it so popular. So book your adventure now with the us. If you climb with us, you are in safe hands – Book early for our top Guides with over 100 successsfully summits.
Booking your Kilimanjaro trek with the right agency is perhaps the single most important factor in determining the success or otherwise of your trek. After all, they are the ones who arrange everything, supply the equipment, and designate somebody to be your guide to take you up to the Roof of Africa. So take your time choosing one. Because unless you are a guide, porter, guidebook writer or just plain daft, undertaking a Kilimanjaro trek will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It’s an expensive one too – so make sure that you get it right. “Climbing Kilimanjaro in Tanzania with us”